Background-shabbyblog

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Introduction...Oppsie:)

I somehow totally missed the blog post assignment from the first day of class. So here it is. Better late than never:/


This cheeserific image really does represent me and where I am in my "artistic journey." My art background is pretty different from a lot of the other members of this class, in that I have a lot less studio experience. You have probably already figured out that I am a little self conscience about this. I took two years of photography in high school and loved it. However, I graduated in 2001 (which feels like 100 years ago) and I barely remember most of it. Since high school I continued photography as a casual hobby off and on. I got my undergraduate degree in advertising. The program I was in did not emphasize the design part of it too much. I took 2-D and 3-D design and a few art history classes. The advertising program I was in really focused on concepts. I never took a single graphic design class. I taught myself the adobe programs, to at least a functional level. I worked for several years as an art director or designer. I eventually got so sick of looking at computer screens and taking direction from clients that I thought I might snap. When I left advertising I worked for a few years as a pharmacy technician in a hospital in downtown Chicago (because I had an in to get me the job), while trying to find my passion. I eventually decided I wanted to teach, and Kathy convinced me that MU art ed was the place for me. (My first choice had originally been the University of Oregon and in the end I didn't even apply there...only Mizzou). 
So short story long, now I am doing a bunch of post-bac work while getting my Masters. So far I have taken Intro Fibers, Drawing 1, and am currently in Drawing 2. This image is from my Drawing 1 class. I didn't think I could draw and I was really happy with how well this came out. However, I HATED this assignment. I was forced to painstakingly work on a gridded, realistic drawing of my giant face that had no meaning to me. It really drove home the point about providing rich art making opportunities that allow for personal meaning making. So I don't know my process, content or medium yet. On one side I have struggled with my decision to take this class now because I wonder if  I should have more studio experience first, but on the other hand I think having this class first might prepare me to make the most of my future studio classes. I hope the latter is true. 

No comments:

Post a Comment