Many of the ideas behind art as it relates to the unconscious come from the writings of Sigmund Freud. He advanced that there are hidden regions of the mind called the unconscious and dreams are manifestations of our unconscious thoughts and desires. As the work of Freud became more popular and well know some artists purposed a theory that confronting one's unconscious desires could lead to enlightenment and cure societies problems. These ideas fueled artists such as Dali and Picaso and resulted in much of the dream like like imagery contained in their work.
Though I do not currenty plan to explore any dreamlike ideas in my work I think that the unconscious certainly influences my work in other less direct ways. The way I was raised and experiences that I had as a child can't help but influence my artistic interests and what I choose to explore in my artwork. I have a fascination with personal history and memories. I feel that childhood memories often feel a bit like dreams, in that things have become distorted by time. I would guess that according to Freud the unconscious can't help but affect my artwork.
No comments:
Post a Comment