Big Idea Pages 7 & 8
Once again I made only one page because I included the written part on the same page as my drawing. I took on drawing in an attempt to stretch myself and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. This is the page that I made in response to Chutting's page for my book. I liked how she tied history into architecture. She also referenced the lasting nature of history and traditions. Obviously history is history because it stands the test of time. However, some parts of history grow increasingly fuzzy with time or can disappear if it is not the story that some people want to be remembered. I think it is very interesting how my big idea ties into Chutting's big idea of memory.
Outside of book with holes cut through the pages to show the layers.
Big Idea Book Artist Statement
My big idea book began with exploring the idea of history. I love learning about history and I thought that exploring how history can be expressed through art would be interesting. As I thought about this idea more I examined how someone’s personal history can intertwine with society’s history. The first and second page of my book reflects this. On these pages I have interwoven a photo of my family on the Native American Indian reservation that I was born on with a map of the southwest region of the U.S., where this tribe was relocated during the Trail of Tears.
In the second and third pages I researched the work of another artist working in the same big idea. I loved looking at the work of Glen Ligon. His ideas of major social change and how it is reflected in history were very impactful in my book making. His work also lead me to look deeper into whose version of history gets told and why. I used bright watercolors, screen-printing, and marker to create this page. The third and fourth pages of my book echo the work of Ligon by using a juxtaposition of color and content, referencing literature, and using the words of Howard Zinn to express the importance of social change in history.
Chutting was the guest artist for my fifth and sixth pages. I love the piece that she made for my book. She used a photo and paint to depict and old street in China. She was referencing how historical areas in China remain the same in many ways even if it changes on the surface.
I explored the idea of permanence in history further in the final page of my big idea book. I used a spider web to express how some parts of history do get erased and forgotten, especially if someone in power wants it to be forgotten or remembered differently.
Each of my pieces has a small hole cut in it so that you can see through the layers of these explorations of history. History and art both carry many layers that work together to make a very complex whole. By being able to see some part of all of the pages at once you get a sense that how complex history is and how we are often only allowed to see one small piece of the puzzle in each story. Furthermore, when you look from the inside of the book out, the hole serves as a viewfinder, which symbolizes how parts of life are intentionally framed into history.
Art Advocacy Presentation
I think that one of the best ways for parents to truly
understand what takes place in their child’s art education classroom is to
experience it first hand. Many parents have deep-set preconceived ideas about
art education. I feel that a first hand art making experience with their child
is a great way to positively influence their ideas about art education.
Parent Night Art
Advocacy Mini Lesson:
Big Idea:
Home/Community
Objective:
·
Advocate to parents about why the arts are
important to their kid’s education
·
Show parents their child’s artistic potential
·
Give parents a hands on example of how art
teaches kids important skills
·
Allow parents to participate in a school based
learning activity with their kids
Art viewing and
discussion:
Doh Ho Suh, House with in a House
Doh Ho Suh, House with in a House
Ham Myung soo, Cityscape
Thomas Hart Benton, View from my Mother's House
Discuss these questions with your table (3 or 4
parents/child groups per table).
·
What do you (both parent and student) think
about first when you think about your block or street?
·
What are some of your favorite things in your
neighborhood?
·
Is your home in the city or country?
·
Do you know any of your neighbors?
·
Do you ever do anything with your neighbors?
·
Do a lot of people live in your house or
apartment or just a few?
·
Have you ever lived in a different house? State?
Country?
·
What colors would you associate with your
neighborhood?
·
What is the difference between the word house
and home?
·
What were the differences between what is
important to you and what is important to your parent in your neighborhood?
·
How did you show your favorite parts of your
neighborhood?
On smart board display what we learned in this lesson:
- - Different perspectives
- - Moods of colors
- -Relationship building
- -Community
- -Comparing and contrasting
- -Understanding artist choices
- -Reading and writing
- -Cultural differences





I LOVE your idea of including your parents in an art activity with their child. You made some great choices for them to discuss with very strong discussion questions. It would be interesting to combine the results somehow into a graphic quilt/poster that you could then hang in the school and send out to parents that could be titled: Our Neighborhood- Our School! Well done!!!!!!
ReplyDelete