Book Cover
I might change the page that I use as the first page of the book.
Interior Spread
Inside of the cover, left half of spread
"Each life has a history. Our own histories intertwine with those of others. Some of these shared histories are significant enough to become part of our collective consciousness. The perceptions and biases of those who record history determine how the story is told and what parts of it we are allowed to see."
The hole in the cover allows you to see the images inside, but when you look through the hole in the cover from the inside you see a frame of your world view. I plan to cut concentric holes in the images of the new pages, so that we can see through to the multiple layers of images inside.
First Image, right half of spread
I was born on a Native American Indian Reservation. I am not Native American, but the history, culture and art of Native American people has always been interesting and important to me. This image is my family with a large group of people from the reservation woven with a map of the Southwest region of the United States where many Native Americans were relocated during the trail of tears (and where the reservation we lived on was located). I was trying to create a juxtaposition between the native people and the colonizing government created map. The weaving of the image shows how we are all interconnected and yet we can only see pieces of either image. Not everyone's experience of history is the same.
Your statement has really helped me to understand your choices and makes your work just wonderful. I would love to hear more about your life on the native american reservation and how that has influenced you. In your book are you focusing on your history or history in general?
ReplyDeleteYour blog is beautifully designed too.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKathy, to answer your question I am focusing on both personal history and societal history. I find areas where these two overlap to be particularly interesting. I also think that how our personal experiences influence the way that we view events in history to be a really rich area of exploration.
ReplyDelete