Background-shabbyblog

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Idea No. 20 Icon

Bird begins this chapter by discussing icon in art as depictions of holy figures. Bird says that these painting began in early Christian times. Some people consider these paintings to carry part of the spirit of the figure that they depict and feel that they are capable of receiving prayers. Bird also discusses another use of the idea of icon in art as depictions of celebrities. This trend was popular amongst pop artists, notably Andy Warhol.

I think that the visual culture of our time has shifted, making seemingly insignificant elements immediately recognizable. People can pin point the font of certain companies or small fractions of a corporate logo. Saturation of advertising has made corporations into icons. I think that this is an interesting idea. Maybe I could use tiny snippets of corporate identities and other images to make a collage. I could also explore using text in my images that feeds off of these recognizable identities and their affiliated values. It might also be interesting to flip this idea on it head and create iconic looking portraits of everyday people. Maybe I could directly appropriate from old paintings of religious figures.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea! I think you are onto somthing with that! It is true that corporate logos have a life of their own and in some cases are worshiped all over the world.
    But your idea of everyday people in iconic portrait style is Fab!

    ReplyDelete